Family, Matrimonial and Cohabitation
Read whole topic Back Print Forward

B. Procedures and grounds for divorce

Divorce and matrimonial proceedings are generally heard in the Family Court section of the District Court before a District Court judge and proceedings for divorce must be instituted either by a petition for divorce or by an application for divorce.

If it becomes clear that a case raises a difficult point of law or involves assets of considerable value then either party can apply to transfer the case to the High Court. A High Court judge is more experienced and therefore better qualified to deal with complicated cases.

Certain matters must be commenced in the High Court, such as application for wardship (i.e. The custody of the child is given to the Court. More details of wardship are discussed in the ensuing Q&A ).

  1. What are the grounds for divorce? Must I explain why I want a divorce?
  2. How do I apply for divorce? (with a brief summary of the relevant procedures)
  3. When will the divorce proceedings be completed? How long will it take before I can marry again?