Skip to main content

4. What should a person do if they believe they have been wrongfully arrested?

When arresting someone, the police officer must inform the arrestee of the offence or the crime for which he is suspected to have committed in simple and non-technical language, and in a language that he understands. If one believes that he or she has been wrongfully arrested, it is advisable to seek independent legal advice immediately to protect his/her best interest. A potential complaint of wrongful arrest may affect the ongoing investigation in question. The relevant person may consider lodging a complaint to the Complaints Against Police Office and/or even seeking compensation through civil actions.