Skip to main content

8. If I have been ill-treated by the police (such as illegally entering a private property and coercing a confession), how can I lodge a complaint against the police?

Complaints can be lodged with the Complaints Against Police Office (CAPO) in the following ways:


  • Attend the report room of any police station;
  • Make an appointment through the complaint hotline at 2866 7700 to lodge a complaint to the CAPO in person;
  • Call the complaint hotline at 2866 7700 or by fax to 2200 4460 or 2200 4461;
  • By post to the Complaints Against Police Office, Police Headquarters, 1 Arsenal Street, Wan Chai;
  • Use the Complaint Against Police e-Report form online; or
  • Use the 'Complaint Against Police' function at the ‘e-Report Centre’ of the Hong Kong Police Mobile App.


On completion of the investigation, CAPO must pass the results to the Independent Police Complaints Council (IPCC) for endorsement. The IPCC is completely independent of the Police. The IPCC will review each case received from CAPO by examining the investigation files and other relevant documents. For further information on the complaint procedures, please go to the CAPO's webpage.


It is also possible for you to make a civil claim against the police for compensation. However, you should first seek legal advice before you decide whether or not to take any legal action.