2. Who is eligible to serve as a juror (i.e. member of a jury)?
A Hong Kong resident is eligible to serve as a juror if he/she -
- has reached the age of 21 but is not yet 65;
- is of a sound mind and has no disabilities such as hearing or visual impairments that might prevent him / her from serving as a juror;
- is of good character; and
- has sufficient knowledge of the language of the court proceedings (Chinese or English as the case may be).
Jurors are not legal experts and so they will be given clear directions on points of law by the trial judge. Some people such as qualified solicitors or barristers are exempted from jury service.