Skip to main content

VI. Passports and Identity Cards

Hong Kong permanent residents who are Chinese citizens are entitled to apply for Hong Kong SAR passports. These passports are issued by the Hong Kong Immigration Department and are governed by the Hong Kong SAR Passports Ordinance (Cap. 539 of the Laws of Hong Kong). They are much more widely accepted for international visa-free travel than the Chinese passports that are issued by the Mainland government.


The Hong Kong SAR passport states that its holder has Chinese nationality (that means the holder is a Chinese citizen).


More information about applying for a Hong Kong SAR passport can be found on the website of the Immigration Department.