Skip to main content

3. Are sponsored family members allowed to work in Hong Kong?

Spouses and children who are admitted to Hong Kong from China for the purpose of family reunion are not normally subject to any employment restrictions.


The spouses and children of foreigners are normally admitted to Hong Kong with "dependant" visas. After June 2006, these dependants will not normally be subject to any restrictions on taking up employment or starting a business (unless the employment or business is illegal).


As the granting of dependant visas is entirely a matter of discretion, the Director of Immigration must consider each application on a case by case basis. If your application is rejected because it does not come within the relevant guidelines and you consider this rejection to be unreasonable, then you should consult a legal expert.