Skip to main content

4. What types of identity card are there?

There are two types of identity card. Ordinary Hong Kong identity cards are issued to persons who are admitted to Hong Kong for a limited period of more than 180 days, such as persons with employment or student visas and the dependants of such persons. Hong Kong permanent identity cards are issued to persons with the status of Hong Kong permanent resident. Identity cards for children (aged 11-17) differ from those for adults.


More information on these two types of identity card (including the respective application procedures) can be found on the website of the Immigration Department.