Skip to main content

9. I have separated from my spouse recently and I have to solely maintain my children. Can I claim the “single parent allowance”?

Not immediately, as the allowance will not be granted for the year during which the separation or divorce takes place. For example, a couple divorced in August 2014. They will not be entitled for single parent allowance in the year 2014/15. Such allowance will only be considered as from the year 2015/16.