Skip to main content

1. Who are eligible to choose Personal Assessment?

With reference to section 41 of the Inland Revenue Ordinance, an individual (but not a corporation or limited company) may select Personal Assessment if:


  1. the person is 18 years of age or over, or under that age if both of his/her parents are deceased; and
  2. the person is or, if he/she is married, his/her spouse is a permanent or temporary resident in Hong Kong.

(Note: In respect of a partnership business, each partner must choose Personal Assessment individually.)


For the purpose of Personal Assessment:


  1. "permanent resident" means an individual who ordinarily resides in Hong Kong;
  2. "temporary resident" means an individual who stays in Hong Kong for a period or a number of periods amounting to more than 180 days during the year of assessment in respect of which the election of Personal Assessment is made or for a period or periods amounting to more than 300 days in 2 consecutive years of assessment, one of which is the year of assessment in respect of which Personal Assessment is chosen.

Selection of Personal Assessment must be made in writing. It can be made by completing the relevant section in the Tax Return.