Skip to main content

9. What can I do if my application for Civil Legal Aid is rejected?

You should first check the reasons for the refusal and see if there may be any errors or mistakes on the information that you had given to the Legal Aid Officer during your applcation. If so, you may liaise with the staff of the Legal Aid Department to explain further your situation and ask them to re-consider your application.


If you are not satisfied with the refusal, you have a right to appeal to the Registrar of the High Court. But you must lodge the appeal within 14 days of the refusal. The decision of the Registrar on appeal is generally final. If the application for Legal Aid relates to an appeal to the Court of Final Appeal, your appeal against the refusal will be to a Committee of Review instead of the Registrar.


If you are not granted Legal Aid but you cannot afford to employ any private lawyer to represent you in the proceedings, you may try to seek help from the Bar Free Legal Service Scheme provided by the Hong Kong Bar Association.