Skip to main content

8. If I am a foreigner who is posted by my company to work in Hong Kong, what should I pay special attention to when entering into a tenancy of a flat here?

In a typical tenancy agreement of residential flat, there is no specific terms applicable only to a tenant who is a foreigner.  Some landlords may ask a foreigner tenant to provide proof of his employment in Hong Kong so as to be satisfied that he has a stable source of income to meet the rental payments.


For those who may need to leave Hong Kong within a relatively short period of time, it is worthwhile to note that a standard residential tenancy agreement in Hong Kong is for 2 years, either with no break clause or a break clause which allows either party to give notice after the first year to early terminate the tenancy.  The tenant would have greater flexibility where the tenancy agreement has a break clause.