Skip to main content

2. Can I ask a friend to speak and represent me in court?

A litigant in person is allowed to have a friend sitting with him who can give him advice and help him with the presentation of his case.  It is commonly called a "McKenzie" friend, but he does not have a right of audience in the Court.


Generally only the litigant in person or his or her legal representative(s) has the right of audience before the court.


Currently, there is a Legal Advice Scheme for Unrepresented Litigants on Civil Procedures (Procedural Advice Scheme) launched by the Government.  It may provide free legal advice on civil procedural matters for eligible unrepresented litigants.  For details, please visit:


Unrepresented litigant may also consider to seek assistance from the Resource Centre for Unrepresented Litigants of the Judiciary.  For details, please visit: