Skip to main content

VII. What kinds of applications may be made to court before the commencement of a trial?

Before the commencement of trial, any applications with the Court will be regarded as “interlocutory applications”.  Common interlocutory applications (not exhaustive) in a civil action include:


  1. seeking leave from the Court to amend the pleadings (to rectify any mistakes or omissions in previous pleadings) or to file and serve supplemental witness statement (to rectify the mistake or omission in the previous one);
  2. requiring the other party to file and serve further and better particulars of his or her pleadings;
  3. specific discovery of a particular document that is relevant to the case and in control or possession of by other party; and
  4. seeking leave from the Court to adduce expert evidence (if the case so requires).