Skip to main content

4. If I am convicted, can the prosecution appeal against sentence?

Yes, but in the form of a review instead of an appeal. Specifically, the Secretary of Justice can apply for a review of sentences to the Court of Appeal under section 81A of the Criminal Procedure Ordinance.


The Secretary for Justice may apply for the review of any sentence (other than a sentence which is fixed by law) passed by any court, other than the Court of Appeal, on the grounds that the sentence is not allowed by law, is wrong in principle, is manifestly excessive, or is manifestly inadequate.