Skip to main content

8. Can I leave Hong Kong after being arrested?

It depends on your conditions of bail and the agency by which you are arrested. For instance, if you are arrested by ICAC, according to a section 17A of Prevention of Bribery Ordinance (Cap. 201), a magistrate may, on the application ex parte of the Commissioner, require a person under investigation to surrender any travel document in his/her possession. But if you are arrested by other law enforcement authorities like the police, generally speaking, as long as you can make sure to come back on time to report bail in accordance with the police’s requirement, you can still leave Hong Kong after being arrested.