Skip to main content

10. Would the preparation for arrangement be any different if the size of my estate is (1) less than $50,000; (2) more than $50,000 but less than $150,000; or (3) more than $150,000?

For an estate less than $50,000, if the estate consists of money only and the deceased did not beneficially own other properties in Hong Kong not being money, you can apply for a confirmation notice from the Home Affairs Department which allows you to administer the estate without any grant.  (Please see the section on confirmation notice)


For an estate more than $50,000 but less than $150,000, and if the estate consists of only bank accounts and/ or mandatory provident fund money, you can apply for the estate be administered summarily without any grant under s.15 of the Probate and Administration Ordinance (Cap. 10).  You should apply to the Official Administrator for the exercise of his power to get in and administer the estate.  To support your application, you should file an affidavit (Form N1.1) sworn with the Registry and exhibit a schedule (Form N4.1) setting out the assets and liabilities of the deceased as at the date of his death known to the applicant and other documents that the Registrar may require.


For an estate more than $150,000, follow the usual procedure for obtaining a grant. (Please see the sections on Grant of Probate, Letters of Administration (with will) and Letters of Administration (without will))