Skip to main content

7. Can I bring my case to court directly without going to the EOC? What possible compensation or remedial action can I obtain through legal action?

Any aggrieved person can go to the District Court directly and initiate a civil lawsuit under the law without going through the EOC. However, you are strongly recommended to consult a lawyer before taking legal action.


On the other hand, the EOC cannot entertain applications for legal assistance (see question 6) unless you have been through its complaints system and conciliation has proved to be unsuccessful. In such cases, the EOC may grant legal assistance if it thinks it is appropriate to do so.


Examples of compensation or remedial action include damages (compensation) for injury to feelings, financial compensation (e.g. for loss of income), a written apology, or provision of reasonable accommodation (to assist the complainant to perform their work duties, or attend school, etc.).