Skip to main content

2. If the property is owned by a party in mainland China or overseas, how would the party's interest be considered by the court in awarding granting ancillary relief?

The court will look at the parties’ assets and property outside of Hong Kong. As long as the Mainland China or overseas property was acquired during the marriage of the parties, it is very likely that the court will consider it as part of the matrimonial pot (or assets). The court will then decide on the division of matrimonial assets all together according to section 7(1) of the Matrimonial Proceedings and Property Ordinance and the principles laid down in LKW v DD.