Skip to main content

4. I suspect that my wife is having an affair with another man. Can this be a reason for divorce?

Adultery is one of the reasons a party can use to prove that the marriage has broken down irretrievably, which is the legal grounds for divorce in Hong Kong. You have to establish the fact of adultery. You have to show that your wife has committed adultery, and you find it intolerable to live with her. However, if you and your wife continue to live together for more than six months following the act of adultery, you will not be entitled to rely on the fact of adultery. Besides, you must have certain knowledge that adultery has occurred, not only a belief that there has been adultery.


To know more about this, please go to the Adultery section.