Skip to main content

2. Can I get compensation from my spouse if the court accepts my spouse’s adultery as proof of the ground for the divorce?

Unlike other jurisdiction where damages related to adultery can be claimed in civil proceedings, there is no financial compensation to be awarded to the “injured” spouse even if the court finds that the fact of adultery is established. Action for damages for adultery has been abolished in Hong Kong after 14 June 1996 so only action commenced before this date is not affected.