Skip to main content

B. Hong Kong residents with spouses from Mainland China

For details about applying for a marriage registration in Mainland China, you may refer to the website of the Beijing Office of the HKSAR Government.


According to Article 22 of the Basic Law , for entry into the HKSAR, people from Mainland China (including a Mainland spouse) must apply for approval. A Mainland resident who wishes to settle in Hong Kong must apply for an Exit-entry Permit for Travelling to and from Hong Kong and Macao (also known as a “One-way Permit”) from the office of the Exit-entry Administration of the Public Security Bureau where his/her household registration is kept in China. The process and issue of One-way Permits are administered by the Public Security Bureau in accordance with Mainland Chinese laws, policies and regulations.


Therefore, if a Mainland spouse  wishes to come to Hong Kong for family reunion, he/she needs to apply for a “One-way Permit” from the public security authority in the place of his/her household registration in China. The mainland spouse may also apply to bring along his/her minor children (i.e. under 18 years of age) from the Mainland to Hong Kong.


For more details, please refer to the website of the Immigration Department.