Skip to main content

2. I got married outside Hong Kong, but I am worried that the marriage is not recognized in Hong Kong. Can I register my marriage in Hong Kong?

An overseas marriage is recognised by Hong Kong government provided that it is a valid marriage in that jurisdiction, thus it is not necessary to register such marriage in Hong Kong again.  The overseas marriage has to satisfy the requirements for solemnizing a valid marriage in Hong Kong, such as that both parties must consent and are able to give consent (i.e. at least 16 years old) to marry, cannot be a party to an existing marriage and cannot be within the prohibited degrees of relationships defined as kindred or affinity (generally means certain categories of family relatives).


Hong Kong only recognises same-sex marriage for limited purposes such as taxation, inheritance rights and civil service benefits, as marriage is defined as a voluntary union for life of one man with one woman to the exclusion of all others.