Skip to main content

Q1. Should I pay for a traffic ticket if I believe it is wrongly issued and would like to raise an objection?


If you believe that the ticket is wrongly issued, you certainly have the right to raise an objection and indeed you should not pay. The standard traffic ticket contains the following words: “if you wish to dispute liability for the contravention, you should inform me. You are required…to notify me that you wish to dispute liability for the contravention (by using the notification form overleaf).” 


After receiving your notification of dispute, the Police will pass the case to the Court and you will be notified of a hearing date. For details of Court procedures, please refer to “Court procedure - criminal cases”.