Skip to main content

5. If my employer is likely to become insolvent, then where can I seek assistance?

If you notice symptoms of insolvency in your employer (e.g. failing to pay wages, some machines or raw materials removed or the employer suddenly disappeared), then you should immediately seek assistance from the Labour Relations Division of the Labour Department. When appropriate, the Labour Relations Division will refer your case to the Legal Aid Department, which will consider your application for legal aid for instituting winding-up or bankruptcy proceedings against your employer.


You may also be referred to the Wage Security Division of the Labour Department for application for ex-gratia payment from the Protection of Wages on Insolvency Fund.


You can contact the Labour Department at 27171771 or via email at for futher details.