Skip to main content

20. How do I get back the money that I am awarded?

The Tribunal may specify how the judgment debtor is to make payment to the judgment creditor. If the judgment debtor fails to pay, then the judgment creditor may apply to the Tribunal for a Certificate of Award. This can be registered in the District Court within 12 months from the date of the award. The judgment creditor can then apply to the District Court for the court bailiff to enforce the judgment. (For example, the bailiff can seize the debtor’s goods and chattels at the debtor’s premises. The seized items will then be sold by public auction. The proceeds from the auction (after the deduction of necessary expenses) will be used to pay debts.)


If the judgment cannot be enforced because the judgment debtor is insolvent or has disappeared, then you can consider applying for an ex-gratia payment from the Protection of Wages on Insolvency Fund.