Skip to main content

17. Can the Claimant or the Defendant appeal to a higher court?

Yes. However, an appeal can be lodged only on the grounds that the award or order is erroneous in point of law, or outside the jurisdiction of the Tribunal.


Either party can apply to the Court of First Instance of the High Court for leave (i.e. permission) to appeal within seven days after the date on which the written award or order was served on them, or within such extended time as may be allowed by the Registrar of the High Court on good cause.


A refusal by the Court of First Instance of High Court to grant leave to appeal is final. If leave is granted, then the Court of First Instance will hear and determine the appeal.